Sony Xperia J is a mid range smartphone with minimum features and higher price tag. Running on Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich the handset is powered by Qualcomm MSM727A Snapdragon S1 chipset processor and Timescape UI. The droid is priced Rs. 16,490. Currently, couple of online retailers have listed the handset for pre-order. Well, at this price one must expect at least a dual core CPU and around 1 GB RAM. Unfortunately, none are there. It deals with single core CPU and 512 MB RAM. Sony Xperia J equips 4 inch TFT Capacitive touch screen with FWVGA resolution, 480×854 pixels at 245 ppi.
Sony Xperia J sports dual camera; primary camera is a 5 MP one while secondary front facing camera is a VGA camera. Internal 4 GB storage can be increased up to 32 GB by inserting micro SD card. Li-Ion 1700 mAh battery is the only source of power. Battery delivers around 5 hrs of talk time and 607 hrs of standby time. Xperia J is basically a music phone that comes with xLOUD Audio filtering and 3D Surround Sound technology. Take a look at the technical specifications-
Highlighting Features of Sony Xperia J
- Android 4.0.4 ICS OS
- Qualcomm MSM7227A Snapdragon S1 SoC
- 4 inch touch screen
- Dual camera; (5 MP rear + VGA front)
- 1700 mAh battery
- 4 GB on board, 32 GB micro SD card support
- xLOUD Audio Filter, 3D surround sound
Specifications & Features of Sony Xperia J
- OS: Android 4.0.4 ICS, planned upgrade to 4.1.1 JellyBean
- Processor: 1 GHz Qualcomm MSM7227A Snapdragon S1
- RAM: 512 MB
- Display: 4.0 inch TFT Capacitive touch screen, 480×854 pixels resolution, Multi-touch input
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Proximity Sensor, ambient light, Magnetometer
- 3G Speed: High speed 3G connectivity, speed up to 7.2 Mbps
- GPRS/EDGE: Class 12, EDGE speed up to 237 Kbps
- Connectivity: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Direct, micro USB
- Camera: 5 MP rear with AF, LED flash, VGA video recording
- Secondary Camera: Yes, VGA
- SIM Card Support: Single
- Battery: 1700 mAh battery, 5 hrs talk time, 607 hrs standby time in GSM network
- Memory: 4 GB on board storage, Micro SD card slot expandable up to 32 GB
- Navigation: A-GPS support with Google Maps
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Social: Facebook, Twitter
- Messenger: IM, GTalk, YM
- Browser: HTML5, Adobe Flash Lite support
Sony Xperia J Colors
The handset is coming in Black and White color models.
Disadvantages of Sony Xperia J
Over pricing seems to be the major disadvantage of this handset. In recent times all smartphones brought to market by Sony Mobile are over priced. Single core Snapdragon S1 chipset processor and 512 MB RAM does not sound impressive. Entertainment is the only segment to watch out for. Other features are common even in less priced smartphones.
Competitors of Sony Xperia J
You will find better combination in Micromax A110 Canvas 2 which is priced less but having larger 5 inch display. Samsung Galaxy S Duos is priced similar to Xperia J but it equips two sim cards instead of one. HTC Desire V is another competitor of the handset having dual sim capability and Beats Audio sound enhancement over xLOUD Audio. Therefore, you have plenty of alternatives.
Release Date & Price of Sony Xperia J
Currently, couple of Indian online retailers taking pre-order of this handset at Rs. 16500. Price seems to be bit higher than usual.